Thursday, January 3, 2013

What I Do!

I am a Special Education teacher at Advantage Academy. I work on the Rowlett campus. I am responsible for K-4 Special Education students, but I only have 1st and 2nd graders that I work with on a daily basis.

Being that I work for small charter school, the teachers take on a great deal of responsibility. My daily responsibilities include, first and foremost teaching, then I also: I handle Special Education referrals, submit testing requests, schedule and facilitate ARDs, and complete and implement IEPs. The entire process is a huge job, overwhelming at times, but it is providing me with so much information and experiences that I will be able to take with me in the future.

This is a humorous look at what I do each day and the confusion that comes into play.


4 comments:

  1. I am also a first year sped teacher. I work with seniors in resource English. I must say that I also have felt overwhemed, but am indeed learning some very useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was wonderful! It made me giggle the whole way through because that is the way it is... My daughter was evaluated for dyslexia in ninth grade. The only academic professional there was the counselor. She had already decided from the work samples that the teachers provided, showed no signs of struggle. They were typed work samples and spell checked, and they didn't account for us staying up till 2 am every night struggling through her work. It would have been nice for her teachers to show some support, or interest, or input on why they thought she didn't need any help, to just tell us that she was in hard classes and just needed to rise up. I would have been happy with that. Great perspective and nicely done through Animoto. I really appreciated it. Great blog! My heart goes out to you. I think Special Ed. teachers deserve all the extra credit in the world. Thank you... Ms. Teg's

    ReplyDelete